Broken Shivers

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Crossroads

Whether we believe in fate, karma, Christianity or some other belief system, one thing seems to hold true. We tend to blame our misfortunes upon our god as we view him, instead of realizing our misfortunes are often due to our poor choices.

The young man who holds his head in despair because he has a minimum-wage job and no prospects often does not think back to when he skipped classes, failed to do assignments and didn't get his high school diploma. Perhaps the young woman who finds herself a single Mom and unable to support herself and her child fails to look back to when she decided to 'let him,' thinking he would stand by her and be a man when she barely knew him or his 'track record' was abysmal. The same can be said of many people who make poor choices, either out of ignorance or, more likely, the desire for instant gratification. The lady who is mugged may have taken a walk in a poor neighborhood or gotten tipsy at a party and decided to leave anyway, alone.

Not that their aren't tragedies, there are, but 9 times out of ten, what happens to us is because of our poor choices. I could tell you of a few of mine.

As Billy Graham once said, you can't unscramble scrambled eggs. Once you are at the crossroads and a decision is needed, make the best possible choice you can, based on facts, not feelings.

"A young woman was on the fast track the managerial elite ranks of her firm. Being wise she sought out the advice of the CEO, a businesswomen she greatly admired.
"Boss, what do I need most of all to become a good manager?"
"You need to learn how to make good decisions."
"And how do I learn that?" asks the young woman.
"Experience" her boss replies.
"And how do I get that sort of experience?" the young woman asks.
"Bad decisions".

"As righteousness leads to life, so he who pursues evil pursues it to his own death." --Proverbs 11:19

9 Comments:

  • I guess I believe that most things are within our power and would be interested to know what events, in your life, you considered beyond your power?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:51 AM  

  • I agree with Iva and Dana. There are some things that we have control over and need to accept responsibility for, and there are some things we don't. I especially like the way Dana put it, so I'll leave it at that. :0)

    By Blogger Aravis, at 11:33 PM  

  • I see, Dana. Hypothetically. :) Nice save.

    Aravis, do you know who's blog you're on? ;))

    By Blogger Johnny, at 12:23 AM  

  • I have to say that I also agree that there are things that are beyond our control. We can try to make the best of the situation we are dwelt but that we aren't all necessarily on the same playing field. We are all born into indivicual familes that may affect our outcome in life. Just my two cents worth.

    Jan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 AM  

  • Not one specific among the lot of you. I rest my case. lol

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:45 AM  

  • Well, if you want a specific scenario, try this one:

    A woman allows her 13 year old to walk home from school with his friends. One day as her son crosses the street, a drunk runs the red light and kills the boy.

    This is not God's fault. It isn't the woman's fault. It is the fault of the drunk driver. The woman has lost her son.

    Or how about the man working in a factory that suddenly gets shut down because the owners have discovered that they can get a better tax break somewhere else. Not the man's fault. Not God's fault.

    I think you oversimplified things a little. I would agree that it is wrong to blame God for all of our misfortunes, but not all of our misfortunes can be laid at our own door either. Sometimes, there's someone in between.

    By Blogger Aravis, at 1:29 PM  

  • Perhaps asking a question can be considered oversimplification. Perhaps you took the question too personally. Perhaps you find it difficult to discuss things at times without throwing accusations? Perhaps one of us or both need to lighten up.

    I do not believe I said anywhere in this discussion that everything that happens to us can or should be laid at our door. It's a discussion. I'm not on trial.

    You are correct. The drunk killed the boy but the mother's permission put him at the scene. I am not attaching blame, just saying it the way it is. There are consequences to our actions, even innocent ones.

    I disagree that the man in the factory bears no blame. It behooves one to check out their place of employment. Sad things happen to good people all the time.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 4:42 PM  

  • Some women are victims, few though in comparison to those who 'play' victims. The myths that abused children always grow up to be abusers and that beaten children also grow up to be violent are just that, myths. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is traumatized somehow or another. There are just as meny boy babies abused by drugged or drunken mothers as female babies by their daddies. It's not reported in the newspapers that often because daddy isn't home to see, and women don't tell on other women. Courts and shrinks protect women and children and nail men to the wall. That's how it's been since the 1960's. And don't get me started on 'repressed memories.' God. I know these things to be true for I work in the justice system where justice rarely prevails.

    This man is right. We are most often guilty of bringing about our own downfalls, men AND women. And women whine just as quickly and lawyer up just as quickly, if not more so, than the men, usually with their husbands' money. Cynical? Yes. True? Yes.

    Jack in Detroit

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 AM  

  • Jack,
    You do seem rather cynical, but I must say I appreciate the support. I have known men who play 'victim' rather well, too, but I agree that the justice system is weighted toward the female, at least for now.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home