Broken Shivers

Friday, March 11, 2005

Mars and Venus

One of my patients came in the office today carrying the book 'Mars vs. Venus,' or whatever the correct title is, a book about how different man and woman are and how difficult it is to love each other. I just don't get it, I guess.

I don't find it difficult to love a woman at all. The differences? That is what makes it so good. Where my skin is rough, hers is like silk. I am bony, and she is fragile yet soft. I could break my wife's neck with a twist of my hand, but she can break my heart with a word spoken in anger. Her laughter is like the tinkling of bells. I won't tell you what mine sounds like. lol Her hair, well I can't really describe the beauty and feel of it. To lie down next to her is the closest thing to heaven I can think of right now. As wonderful as holding my new born baby was, it did not compare to holding my wife on our wedding night and knowing she loved me and wanted to be with me, no one else.

There is a gospel song I used to sing often and loved very much. Maybe some of you have heard it. It goes, in part, 'who am I, that a King has bled and died for?' Well who am I that she should love me? I am lucky, that's what I am.

A woman is graceful where I am awkward, gracious and forgiving where I am often too stern, nurturing where I am sometimes left confused.. shall I, shouldn't I. She does not hesitate while I must think and re-think every move. She is trusting where I am wary. She can cry at another's pain or misery, and I nearly suffocate with the emotion of it but can't shed a tear. Women often amuse me, and I don't mean that in any sexist way. They see things differently, often more clearly, often with a better sense of humor, sometimes being a little naive, but almost always touching some chord in me. I could go on, but I think you see what I mean.

Differences? Oh yes, and I thank God for them. Proverbs 31:10 "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."


8 Comments:

  • You are not the only lucky one; so is she. I am glad you are happy for I have loved you from afar for several years. You're the kind of man women dream of.

    Signed
    Wish it were me...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

  • Dear Wish,
    It is wonderful to be loved. Thank you. I hope you find someone to love and hold you just as closely.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 8:48 PM  

  • It is nearly 1 a.m. I thought I heard Bandit crying and woke up. After I checked on all the dogs and the kids, I was wide awake and thought I would check out Chuck's forum. Before I closed down, I decided to check all the blogs. :) And then.. I saw this, and I have been crying ever since. You are fast asleep,and you were so tired, so I won't wake you. I will wipe my eyes, blow my nose and then lie down beside you and kiss you on the cheek.

    I am the lucky one, the very lucky one, Johnny. I love you.

    Caro
    *kiss*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 PM  

  • I hate missing any of your kisses. :)

    Love,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

  • What a wonderful post, my dear friend. I must admit that it also mase a few tears come to my eyes because I also know that I have found this kind of love in Scott. There are days when I feel bad because maybe my hair just doesn't look right or things aren't going well with something and Scott will come home for lunch and tell me how beautiful I look. In fact he will be home for lunch soon...hmmm, maybe we should have dessert first. ;) (((Johnny)))

    Jan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 AM  

  • John Wills McCormick! Is it really you? I haven't seen you in five years. When did you get remarried? I would love to hear from you some time. We are all still in Fairfax.

    Rita Ritenour
    P.S. Mom says hi! lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 AM  

  • Rita! lol No one has called me Wills since Maria died. What a hoot to hear from you. Why didn't you leave us an email address?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:34 AM  

  • Guess who, sweets?

    Sanya! long time no see, but I did see Iva. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home