Broken Shivers

Sunday, March 06, 2005

The evil tongue..

The Evil Tongue

Lashon Hara, the sin of the evil tongue, is a sin equated with murder. Killing a man's reputation is the equivalent of killing the man himself. His head sinks in public; he wishes he were dead. When you shame a man, you make him wish he could disappear into thin air. It is one thing to end a man's life. It is quite another to make him wish he would never have been born.

From the Christian standpoint, Pr 18:19 "A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle."

When you offend someone that deeply, their hatred of you becomes like steel, and it is next to impossible to receive forgiveness for the sin.

4 Comments:

  • Just like murder, I tend to think of this level of "evil tongue" as being deliberate and well-planned. I cannot imagine ever wishing someone ill enough to plan to destroy them with words but I am sure there are people who do that. Do you think it is possible for a Christian to hold this kind of malice aforethought in their heart? I tend to think not but perhaps I am naive. However, if this lashon hara is speaking to general foot in mouth disease, then I may be in trouble :( I had a dream recently that one of my professors was upset with me for speaking badly about him... I was very convicted. Not that I had been spreading rumors but I was grumbling a bit about him. I've got to mind my tongue.

    Have a great day John,
    Elaine \o/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM  

  • Lashon hara is not the run of the mill offense. It is deliberate insult with the intention of permanently wounding the spirit, the reputation, the livelihood even. It is the ultimate insult, just short of physical death. No Christian could do such a thing since the Spirit within would preclude such malice. It is the desire to destroy.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 12:03 PM  

  • It seems best then, when someone has wounded you over and over, to give it up, forget them and move on? If not, then the spirit would become tough and cynical like the prison bars you speak of. Does the commandment to forgive 70 x 7 or whatever the number was apply to these kind of people?

    By Blogger Charles, at 2:05 PM  

  • Thanks for asking Charles. There is an important distinction here. The Christiand MUST forgive, always. However, we do not have to continue to endure such treatment. Forgive them and move on, but don't let them torment you forever. God will take care of it; I'm sure of this my friend.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home