Broken Shivers

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Do not fear, Christian. You are not alone...

God knows where you are. Yes, he does. He knows where you are, who you are, what you are doing and what you are not doing. That's rather daunting, isn't it? Sometimes, we'd like to be anonymous, especially when we're not doing. Or not doing 'right.'

How often are you afflicted with those feelings of being forsaken, of being alone? Too often? Instead of throwing the 'pity party,' go back to God's word. As he says in Isaiah 41:10: 'Do not fear, for I am with you.' I don't know about you, but I find that so comforting.

God talks to me that way. No one else hears the voice, but I do. The first time I heard it, his voice, made me jump up out of my seat, walk to the front of the church (the first church I ever attended) and give my life to him. He had said to me in my mind/head/whatever 'I am yours and you are mine.' I believed him. Why else would he have said it? I didn't ask. Didn't know I could ask at the time.

I was not a poor boy, unloved and neglected. I was a doted-upon only child. Yet... No one had ever said to me 'I am yours.' I knew I could depend on my parents of course, but I never felt I 'owned' them or could even rely on them if I wasn't a 'good boy.' God didn't say to me, 'John, I am yours when you're a good boy.' Nope, just 'I am yours and you are mine' Praise his name forever, it changed my life in ways I never could have imagined.

Based on that, I turned my life completely around and I'm still reeling from it. :) I have occasional moments of lonliness or doubt, we all do I guess. The lowest point in my life, I believe, was when Maria was dying, and I didn't know if my son would live. Even then, God talked to me. When Maria died, I ran like a crazy man.. from the hospital where my son was clinging to life, to the funeral home to be with Maria, to the chapel to yell at God, back to the baby and so it went for weeks. Yet, I never lost that sense that he was with me. 'Fear not, for I am with you.'

When you are feeling insignificant, alone, lonely, forgotten, misunderstood, rejected, forgotten, out of sorts, full of self pity, forgotten, judged, hurting and forgotten, remember that you are not alone. The Christian is never alone, never forgotten.

John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. "

And don't forget, if you're my friend, you're never forgotten by me either. :)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home