Broken Shivers

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Easter should be a time of joy, not fear...

The first Easter was a little frightening for a lot of people. The first emotion is not what you may expect. The first emotion is not one of joy. The original Gospel accounts strike a very different immediate tone.

The immediate emotion generated the first Easter day was not joy or remembrance, it was fear. People were frightened, really frightened. Their fear was quite well founded.

Mark 16:6 "And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him."

People who followed Jesus were persecuted.

I have news for you. People who follow Jesus today are also persecuted. I've been persecuted lately myself. What I can do and must do is pray.. pray for myself and my family, that we will be strong in the faith, but also pray for those who persecute me. I did that very thing this morning. I prayed for the moderators of the forum that we left behind, that God will not leave them behind.

The same Lord who died for you and me gives us power to defeat our enemies who are from satan, evil. Luke 10:19 "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Romans 12:20 "Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give
him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head."


It's not easy to pray for people who wish you harm, who threaten you, who mistreat your wife, but being a Christian is not easy.

Finally, though, one must follow the commandment:

Matthew 5:44 "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

Amen.

1 Comments:

  • Thank you. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Easter!

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home