Broken Shivers

Monday, March 28, 2005

For the glory of God

It was my mother's dream that I be a concert pianist. For 12 years as a child and ten years as an adult, I studied piano. I was not crazy about the dream, but I loved the music. I especially loved the music of Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750).

Bach lived his whole life in Germany and in music. Born into a musical family, Bach's life was almost predetermined to be in the field of music. But from a child he internalized the art and passionately pursued the development of his skills. It would result in a legacy that has enriched the world and continues to inspire, engage, and touch souls across diverse cultural boundaries now close to three hundred years later.

While I labored over his music and felt it in my soul, at that time I made absolutely no connection with Bach and the reason he composed. An unbeliever couldn't/wouldn't I guess. Bach composed to give glory to God.

“The aim and final reason of all music,“ Bach said, “should be none else but the glory of God.”
What is the secret to Bach's success? Even atheist Music Humanities teachers will tell you: Bach wrote his music for the glory of God. Bach's orientation to and personal relationship with God caused him to be very thorough with his work. He wrote primarily for neither the musically uneducated, nor the most gourmet of music critics; Bach's audience was no less than the almighty, eternal, infinite God.

Quite an imposing task! Perhaps this is why Bach inserted "J.J." (Jesu Juva in Latin, meaning "Jesus, help me") at the beginning of each composition and "S.D.G." (Soli Deo Gloria meaning "To the glory of God alone,") at the end of each.

When I read these words about Bach not that long ago, I realized those are basically the same words I pray before I preach or sing or play. 'Playing for God' is infinitely better than playing for self or even playing for mother. :)

I shall be eternally grateful for the gift of music, Bach's and mine, and for God who is so gracious to all. I believe that God is just as pleased when I sit down to play 'How Great Thou Art' as he was when I played classical music in black tie before a more sophisticated audience, perhaps, but not a more appreciative one. :)

5 Comments:

  • I use to be in awe of you but also felt sorry for you, all that practicing every day. It seemed to me that you lived in another world. In high school, every one talked about you and how far you would go in the world. You weren't exactly a geek, more like an alien. lol

    Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

  • I just realized what a shock it must have been for your parents when you became a Christian and changed your entire life's plans?

    By Blogger Charles, at 4:59 PM  

  • To Iva, thank you Mom. :)

    Charles, yes, quite a shock and that's putting it mildly. My mother was disappointed, and my father was beyond furious. He put a gun to my forehead and said he'd sooner see me dead than be a 'preacher.' Fortunately, he re-thought his position (and mine). He eventually forgave me but was never pleased. My mother, I think, was reconciled to it. Anyway, they loved me and did what all disappointed parents do I guess, adjusted. My father would not finance my seminary education, but he did finance my first church. lol Business is business. :)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:31 PM  

  • He saw it as a business?

    Karin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 PM  

  • Yes, he saw it as a business and,in a way, it was. It involved purchase of a large bit of land, erection of buildings, etc., all with expenses and income.. in other words, a 'profit.' He was interested in the financial profit and I the spiritual but our interests merged that time, not that common for us. :)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home