Broken Shivers

Friday, March 18, 2005

Life or death?

A dear friend asked me if I would 'blog' something on the Terri Schiavo case. At first, I said no for what could I offer? Hasn't it all been said before? On second thought, maybe it hasn't. Here's my take on the situation.

The husband: He has been accused of wanting Terri to die for the $1 million insurance and settlement money. However, he has refused up to $10 million to give up his guardianship rights. He did not. So, he has lost $9 million. Money, therefore, is not his motivation, not in my opinion. He said she told him she did not want to live as a vegetable. If so, he is showing his love for her. That he has a new relationship has nothing to do with it. My first wife died. That has nothing to do with my current marriage. I loved the first, and I adore the second.

The parents: They love their child. Most parents do. They are willing to care for her, and why shouldn't they be allowed to? Currently, the law is on the husband's side. That doesn't make it 'right,' though, does it?

The law: The highest law of the land shall prevail. Right now, her feeding tube has been removed based on the law in Florida. If congress, federal folks, pass a law over-riding the state law, then so be it. The majority of people in the US seem to want Terri Schiavo kept alive. The feds have about two weeks to do their thing or she shall die. It's that simple now.

Who is right: I don't know.

This I do know: God's will shall prevail. If it is God's will that Terri die, she will die. If not, not.

If I were God, I'd be thinking these things: Terri is not dying. Had the tube not been removed, she might live 50 more years. Who knows? Man does not have the right to usurp God's power to decide life and death. We do it, but we do not have the right. One of God's major traits is that he creates. He created life; he does not want it maliciously or negligently destroyed, not without His orders.

In my opinion, it shall come down to what God decides, and I say amen to that. Whichever way it goes, Terri Schiavo is a beloved child of God and will receive the love and eternal care of her loving Father. I pray she is at peace physically and mentally, and I pray that wise heads shall prevail.

Finally, I am one who wishes her to live although I would not want to live in her same situation. That kind of thinking is another reason God should prevail. :) Praise His name forever.

Psalms 42:8 "Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home