Broken Shivers

Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Divine Call

Pope John Paul II has died. What a man he was, called by God to serve in a most tremendous way. He was obviously a brilliant man, could speak 8 languages, could separate the wheat from the tares.

I can't help but wonder why some men become great while others, just as intelligent, do not. Does everyone receive the Divine Call? Scriptures tell us that we are all called to service. But some do not heed the call... why?

Matthew 22:14 "For many are called, but few are chosen ."

Do all receive the Divine Call but only a few the Divine Touch? What makes one man or woman say 'yes God' while another, equally as talented, say 'no?' Even when we say 'yes,' is there some quality that God seeks that we cannot know about, that we either have or don't have based on some factor(s) out of our control. Are there some God loves more in the womb than others?

I wonder how my own life would be different had I not said 'yes' on that hot, humid night in a little church in Virginia? No one, including me, had any inkling that I would do such a thing. I was a nonbeliever of atheist parents. I had never been in a church except for two funerals. I wanted to be handsome and rich and get the girls and hoped to be that way without a lot of effort. I wasn't doing too bad in the lack of effort department. Except for going to college which was paid for in full by my father and practicing piano, I did not exert myself much. Yet, when I heard the call, and I did hear it... He said in my mind 'I am yours, and you are mine, I realized... 'how can I say no?' So, I said yes.

I am glad I accepted the 'call.' I believe I have served the Lord to the best of my abilities, have helped people, have desired the 'good service.' Eph. 6:7 "With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men." Even so, I am no John Paul II, not even close. What makes the superior servant? .. more humility, more mysticism, what?

Is part of it timing? Can a mere man become great in times with no challenge? The Pope was born in a communist society, saw the rise of Hitler, survived it, made difficult choices. Is that the difference?

Our deepest problem seems to be to find the strength to do the right thing as we see it. If our hearts are right, our minds will be less confused. Yet, there are choices in life that make all the difference. Perhaps one wrong step, one wrong choice forever precludes the Divine Touch. I do not know.

I do know that Pope John Paul II was a man who achieved unbelieving and astonishing things, because he believed and because He lives. I know his soul rests lightly with the Lord today, and aren't we the lucky ones, to have known such a man who received the call and received the touch.

7 Comments:

  • He's blessed, and he's a blessing to so many.

    Roma

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 PM  

  • >>That your good works are for a smaller audience doesn't make them less good, eh?

    I agree, Iva. I actually think it's possibly more a 'Godly' deed when done in private. However, I'm not so sure it's a smaller audience, per say. I've often heard that to touch the life of a child is to change the world. I believe it too.

    By Blogger SweetT, at 8:56 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger jun, at 2:28 AM  

  • *Sorry! I spotted a spelling error in the earlier post!*

    Dear Ms Iva Mae and all here,

    Would just like to add my two pence (or nickels? =P) with regards to the comments here.

    Timing may be everything for the secular world but the most important thing for each one of us Christians, is whether we answer God's call at every moment. I agree that it doesn't matter how big or small our deed is, as long as we have said Yes to God. That is all that matters to Him.

    Whether the deed is more 'Godly' when private or public doesn't really matter either. What matters is that the person is rooted in prayer and is obedient to God. For there will always be some people who are more high-profile than others and their actions will of course be known by all. Just like the Apostles, of whose lives we know about today even though they lived nearly 2000 years ago.

    As for the issue of hierachy, the Pope may be the head of the Church but he will still be accountable to God at the end of the day, just as we all are. (Like the parable of the servants with the talents) And as much as he is esteemed, he is also criticized by others. Nonetheless, it does not remove the fact that he is still a servant of God. In fact, to those to whom it is given much, much will be expected of them. Rewards? Anyone whose life is truly rooted in prayer and obedience to God's Will looks only to the Kingdom of Heaven. Let us not be so swift to point the finger at others, but instead continue to grow in the love and grace of our Heavenly Father.

    God Bless,
    Jermaine

    By Blogger jun, at 2:31 AM  

  • There are earthly rewards and heavenly rewards. I don't know if the Pope 'looked' for earthly rewards or not. He seemed to be a very spiritual man. I see no sin in earthly rewards or recognition for service well done. As for the Pope having to face the judgement just like the rest of us, that is true. The prayers today by faithful Catholics are that the Pope be received .. forgiven and in God's presence.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:55 AM  

  • "What makes one man or woman say 'yes God' while another, equally as talented, say 'no?'"

    I think that some leave everything to follow Jesus, others say they must do something else first.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 AM  

  • I think that some leave everything to follow Jesus, others say they must do something else first.

    Excellent point Anon. Perhaps it's that some give up all they have and follow Him right away and others say 'wait, or later, or in a few minutes.' Perhaps God wants full commitment, not half-minded service.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home