Broken Shivers

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

O how it hurts...

My daughter is five years old and in her first year of 'school,' kindergarten as a matter of fact. Her brother is in first grade. Sending them both to school for the first time was very traumatic for me. lol Little John was in Brazil and was taught kindergarten skills at home by a tutor, so this is his first experience in school too. You thought only mothers went through these traumas, eh? They both attend a Christian 'academy' for students in K through 12, but there are only 10-12 students per class. It is a fine school and costs a pretty penny.

My Melina is a talker. She yaks and yaks, constantly it seems. It's her nature, always has been so. At home, we have the 'intermission rule.' If we are watching a movie or TV show as a family, there will be no talking until intermission (at least once an hour.. time to pee, get popcorn, etc. and TALK). That means no questions, nada. If not, we'd all be crazy. I recall Melina asking at least 9 questions on the death of Mufasa alone (Lion King). She, as she tells me often enough, likes to 'know things.' The intermission rule is a difficult rule for Melina to follow (and Caro :) but she tries. Punishment for breaking the rule is one does not get to finish the movie. :(

The school the kids go to allows corporal punishment, if the parents consent. If the parents don't consent, they must go to the school and spank the child instead of the teacher doin it. I figured that would be more embarrassing and would 'single' them out. I gave much thought to this as I have been, heretofore, the only person to discipline my children. Finally, I decided they may be spanked at school but only on the hands. The school officials agreed. Well, today, Melina got her hands spanked. Yes, for talking. Talking a lot and after several warnings.

I absolutely feel like Simon LeGree. She handled it very well. It's difficult to embarrass Melina; she's such a ham. I have no idea where she got that trait. There are no marks on her hands, and she seems not to be angry. So why am I?

In my 'role' as a daddy, the most difficult part for me is not to coddle too much and to insist on respect for and obedience to authority without killing the spirit and destroying creativity, etc. I did not look ahead far enough to realize I wouldn't be the only authority figure for them forever.

Right now, Melina is in the kitchen where Caro is learning how to make Pork Medallions with Gravy, and she is talking everyone's ears off. She's forgotten the whole thing. Why haven't I?

It's not easy being 'Da.'

3 Comments:

  • This, too, shall pass.

    Lita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 PM  

  • Hi Johnny. Long time, no see.

    Why don't you ask the children which they would prefer? Perhaps they would prefer YOU coming down to do the spanking. They don't fear you and know that you love them. If you do, must it be in public in front of the other children and must you spank them on the bottom or could you also do the hands?

    I've missed your wisdom. And.. the kids say hi and miss you too.

    Monica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 PM  

  • Monica, I found your question intribuing so I asked the kids. My son said to let the teachers do it, and my daughter prefers I come down and spank her, on hands or anywhere. Interesting, eh? The spanking would have to be in front of a teacher but not the class.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home