Broken Shivers

Sunday, April 17, 2005

What are you living for?

Do you ever stop to think about what you're living for? If you looked back over your life, have you made a difference? Does it matter to you? It matters to me. I want to leave something behind besides money when I die.

I want to be remembered for certain things, and I try to live accordingly. When I am gone, I want my children to remember our prayers together, the teaching of God's Word, kindness and respect for each other and our 'neighbors.' I am the leader, the 'boss' so to speak, in my home but my children have seen me on my knees asking God for guidance. They have seen me on my knees many times in prayer. Sometimes they join me. I hope I have taught them to trust the living God for what they need. If so, they will never be alone even if I have to go before 'my time.'

I want my wife to know I am not some arrogant bully but someone who cares for her deeply and who prays for her and for 'us' every day of my life. I hope she realizes the depth of my love for her.

I want my church to remember me as a worker, one who was not stingy with his time or his money when it comes to things of the Kingdom. I want my friends to remember me as honest and worthy of trust and someone with a sense of humor, who was understanding. That's a lot of things to want, and it's not easy trying to live up to the life God wants me to lead. He has a plan for each of us, and each of us has something different, unique, to offer Him. It's a blessed thing to be used of the Lord. What we do for Him will live on after us; love that keeps on giving, for we cannot measure the influence we have upon others, especially our children.

Our lives are not our own, you know. We were created for good works to glorify God.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Jas 3:13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

When all is said and done, isn't it true that only what was done for God is lasting? Good looks, charm, intelligence, money, fame, fortune all go to the grave. What is resurrected is the living soul that belongs to God, and He will be talking to us about how we used the life he gave us on this earth.



4 Comments:

  • I dont' remember reading that verse in Ephesians before. Interesting. I, too, wish to make a difference in life. Who wants to go through life like a slug just leaving a trail of slime?

    By Blogger Charles, at 3:37 PM  

  • This is something I think about all the time. My favourite song ever is by Nichole Nordeman - Legacy "I wanna leave a Legacy, How will they remember me, Did I choose to love...". I'll have to post the lyrics and music to my blog when I get a chance. I would like to be remembered as someone that loved Jesus, loved my family and loved people.

    By Blogger Jeannie, at 8:19 AM  

  • I would like to see the lyrics of the song. :) What do you think all the love you give your children, family and God creates or achieves in life?

    By Blogger Charles, at 10:58 AM  

  • Charles? A slug? lol

    Iva, that's a fun site though but I agree.. rather mundane goals.

    Jeanne, love.. the greatest gift of all and it keeps on giving after we die for the memories of our love live on in our friends and children.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home