Broken Shivers

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Precious time...

I'm in an introspective mood so bear with me. If all goes well, I'm about half way home. 40 years of time behind me and, based upon life expectancy in the USA, perhaps that much ahead. What should we do with all that time? Is time just directionless and vacant, waiting to be filled spontaneously or is some planning required? Can one have meaninful activities and personal accomplishments without planning? Is it important to have those things or is it OK just to fill time without thinking ahead? I wonder if I could look back with as much pleasure if none of it had been planned (and, of course, not all of it was).

This is one of the bible verses having to do with time..

Ecc. 3:1 "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven.'

Do you think there is an appointed time for everything by God?

I do know that there is nothing in this world perpetual. What you do not experience today, you may experience tomorrow or you never experience it.

Perhaps God, understanding the inability of men to attain, by philosophic inquiry, to a full comprehension of his works and ways, has wisely set the world in their heart; that is, has occupied them to a large extent with its cares and labors, as a discipline that is good in its place. Their wisdom and happiness lie, then, not in vain endeavors to comprehend what is incomprehensible, but rather in submitting themselves in faith and patience and planning to the appointments of their
heavenly Father.

I suspect it is never out of season to accept God's gifts joyfully and use them wisely and do good with them for self and others.

Then, is it a sin to 'waste' time? Precious time? Or can time be wasted?

15 Comments:

  • I don't think leisure time and/or vacations are a 'waste.' I do think time spent drug or stoned is wasted. I don't know if the sin is in the 'wasting' or in the activities or both. I don't think much can be accomplished without planning. If we wait for our ship to come in, we may have a very long wait. I believe in making reservations myself. :)

    Carl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

  • I meant ... drunk or stoned.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 PM  

  • Perhaps God, understanding the inability of men to attain, by philosophic inquiry, to a full comprehension of his works and ways, has wisely set the world in their heart; that is, has occupied them to a large extent with its cares and labors,

    So you're saying that because we're too dumb to know the score, God gave us a bunch of busy work?? lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 AM  

  • I definitely believe in planning. What would each of you say are your five major life goals?

    Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 AM  

  • 1) To love and serve God with all my heart and soul, enduring to the end.

    2) To work hard, invest well so that my family is financially comfortable whether I am able to always be with them or not.

    3) To be a faithful, loving and lovable husband.

    4) To bring my children up to love God, love each other, love education and to find a way to be of service to others while still enjoying life to the max.

    5) To enjoy the journey.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:29 AM  

  • No one else has major goals?

    I wish to be a good wife and mother; a good Christian and SS teacher; a good citizen of the US and the world, caring for others, the environment, etc. And I wish to live to be very old, healthy, wealthy and retain my beauty. lol

    Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 AM  

  • Pam, you will never catch me saying that spending time alone with God is wasting time. :) As for owning a horse, there ought to be some nag somewhere you can buy. Where you going to keep it? And what are your excuses for not going to church??

    Rita, darlin, you will always be beautiful and I suspect Bruce is rich so there you go! ;)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:36 PM  

  • I guess there is some tension in life between being open to God's call to leave a place and move on (literally or figuratively) and having long range plans and goals.

    I am not much of a goal setter. I tend to enjoy the ride:) Steve is much more thoughtful about the future, more likely to have plans and to say "in five years I want to be ...." I envy him his confidence about the future. I tend to be quite fatalistic.

    By Blogger Hopeful, at 11:42 AM  

  • So, Steve has the goals and you go along for the ride. :) Not a bad deal. Must have a trust in his wisdom?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:28 AM  

  • Pam, what do you mean 'to experience the mission field?'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 AM  

  • Astute to add being LOVABLE on #3. I know I can love, but forget it's also a choice to be lovable.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 PM  

  • oh, it is allowed to be wasted.

    John 10:10 says, "I come that you might have life and have it more abundantly." and I think what he meant by that was "Please Eddie, Eat more Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream"

    Just doing some blog surfing and found your site. Nice!

    By Blogger Eddo, at 1:08 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

  • Thank you, Eddo!

    By Blogger Johnny, at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home