Broken Shivers

Friday, April 29, 2005

Wounded spirits

Jeremiah said "My heart is broken within me." He was a wounded spirit at the time. I spend most of my professional life and quite a bit of my 'online life' dealing with wounded spirits. I saw a nice lady today who had been burned severely while an infant by a mother who did not want her. She still bears some physical scars and many emotional scars. My heart goes out to her ... literally.

If you're one of those who want to tell all these people 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps,' you won't want to continue reading. That is fine advice to those who have boots. The wounded spirit usually doesn't and can barely walk from day to day after years of crippling torment.

My firm conviction is that a wound to the spirit can be deadly, but it is 'treatable,' by man and by God. I cannot fathom going through life as a wounded spirit. I cannot imagine being so desperately hurt and afraid that there is nowhere to turn, no way out from the pain, the lonliness, the haunting thought of life being full of suffering forever. That's how many wounded spirits experience life. They see no end to the suffering and, indeed, for many there is no end to the suffering. These are the teased, the tormented, the abused. These are the crippled, the sickly. These are the ones who have nowhere to turn, no one to listen, no one to understand. They've been picked on and pushed aside, abandoned and forgotten, left to die or left to live wishing they were dead. In silence they suffer, and suffer and suffer. Reminds me of the old pop song... 'I've been cheated, been mistreated.... when will I be loved?'

Do we as Christians or even just good-intentioned people owe something to these people? Are we or are we not our brother's keeper? How much would it cost you to spare a few minutes a day writing someone like that or calling them on the phone. Would it hurt to be perhaps bored or tired of it or even not totally understanding but offering help anyway? If we don't do it, who will? Are they not deserving of some attention, even love? I think so. Doesn't God call the strong people (who might perhaps be the ones being mean at some point) to be the protector of the less strong?

My friend, Iva, allows me to use her life story in my sermons and writings. She has had an amazing life and, in my opinion, is the result of healing of God through people and literature. She is truly a miracle. Think about this though. In a house about the size of four rooms were two grandparents (he was the abuser), nine adult children and many many of their offspring, coming into and out of that house daily. I firmly believe someone knew what was going on. They either didn't give a damn or didn't want to get 'involved.' Maybe they didn't want to be the one getting Pappaw in trouble? But what of the betrayal and abandonment of Iva? Shame on them. What must Iva have felt like when summoned to the room where he torturned her, week after week? After a while, she ceased to say 'no,' ceased to 'beg,' ceased to even look at him. Why? Because.. what good did it do? No one heard who cared. Even then, she began to 'defend' the inner Iva, the one who would need to survive. 'The tough get going, eh?' What went through her mind when she had to do something with the bloody or torn clothes or be discovered? Remember... four years old. Did she think she was dying the first time it hurt so badly, and she saw blood? No one to turn to.. that's all I can think of when I think of it. I would absolutely die if I thought my kids had to endure anything close to that. Oh, my God. I believe Iva's ordeal was a conspiracy of sorts. Maybe Mammaw was tired of the marrige bed after nine kids and multiple cheating and betrayals and just was glad it wasn't her anymore. Maybe another child or cousin or grandchild had been 'done' and was glad their time was over for he lost interest when the child began to 'develop.' Whatever, no four year old, not even one as smart as Iva, could hide ten years worth of daily trysts in a house with that much traffice. I'm convinced of this. These people bear part of the guilt. Shame on them.

Ultimately, healing can only come through Jesus Christ - through Him, we can break this cycle of victimization and abuse. But, surprise, surpise, Jesus uses his children to help his children. We are his agents in healing, are we not? I cannot turn my back on them. No matter how tired I am or how long my day is, when one of them approaches me, I stop what I am doing, and I give my full attention. To do less is an insult. They know when they are being treated as an object of pity rather than a person who is cared for, approved of. And I follow up and stay involved. If they insult me, accuse me of not understanding, etc., I figure maybe I don't and should try harder.

Do you know any wounded spirits? If so, are you helping them, even in the smallest way? If not, I implore you to care and take a chance. It is rewarding... it may take years, but I promise you it is. If you know some, and you refuse to help, shame on you. I know you have so many hours of the day... prioritize. Surely they are more important than chatting online, or an old movie after the kids are in bed, etc.

Ac 26:22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come."

You will not be sorry. Mt 10:42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward."

If you happen to be one of those doing the wounding, get help.. now. There is no excuse for your behavior, none.

5 Comments:

  • Makes one wonder about 'all men are created' equal. Equal until the first breath is taken maybe, but I doubt that since poor people often don't get prenatal care so may be unequal in the womb.

    By Blogger Charles, at 7:16 PM  

  • The sermon at church last week was based on this scripture: Matt 25:34-40

    "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

    35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

    36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

    37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

    38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

    39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

    40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

    God has called us to love the unloveable, care for the needy and reach out to the widows.

    I too have ministered to women like this and have seen firsthand the restoration God needed to provide to heal his wounded...

    Sorry about the long comment but this is something that I feel extremely passionate about..

    By Blogger Jeannie, at 2:29 AM  

  • Sorry Johnny - I also meant to say "deeply moving post"...

    By Blogger Jeannie, at 2:30 AM  

  • Thank you , Jeannie. Caro said this post was too 'preachy' and she's right but it obviously is also very close to my heart.. the subject, that is. :)

    I agree Henry, some come from below zero. Fortunately, our Lord can heat'em up. :)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:57 AM  

  • lol Caro. You're way prettier than Fang. :) Besides, I said you were right woman.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home