Broken Shivers

Monday, August 15, 2005

Who believes in you?

There is a good discussion going on over at Charles' blog about what it is that husbands and wives need from each other. I can think of several important things, but the most important to me is affirmation. I am appreciated by many, I think, but my wife believes in me. I can't tell you what that means, how much that means, to me.

The distinction between appreciation and affirmation is that appreciation is for what you 'do.' It can come and go depending on what you have done lately. Affirmation is much deeper and goes to what the person 'is,' and it is directed to the person himself/herself.

Encouragement can include both appreciation and affirmation, but affirmation is rarer, isn't it? We all need someone to believe in us.

I hope you have someone who believes in you.

4 Comments:

  • I think it's pretty rare to find someone who really believes in a person, not ranking them on what they do. It's a beautiful thing!

    By Blogger Charles, at 8:57 PM  

  • Iva put a comment on Caro's blog recently.... another example of affirmation. She believes in me (I also believe in her). That strengthens me so much. That's no excuse for me not seeing her lately and doing something for her, and we plan to correct that situation next weekend. :) I did bring her some surprises from Brazil and Mexico. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM  

  • Perhaps I am a bit of an anomaly, but I honestly always thought affirmation was part of any relationship.

    People believe in you John, and Charles.

    It's my experience that God believes in his children, and sometimes, just sometimes, even his children pick up on that too. ;)

    Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 AM  

  • I've been in many relationships where there was no affirmation, just lust. lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home