Broken Shivers

Friday, December 09, 2005

Godly sarcasm?

Does God ever get sarcastic with us? No.

Recently, a good friend accused me of insincerity, at best, or mockery as worst case scenario. I admit that I can be very sarcastic when angry or hurt. Even when I'm doing it, I know I shouldn't, but I get carried away with getting even or hurting back. The fact that I'm later sorry is no excuse, nor is the pain of whatever hurt me in the first place. I should have better control of my emotions or, actually, my temper. Just because someone digs me doesn't mean that I should retaliate (I says to myself). It has been a life-long shortcoming of mine that I give payback. You hurt me, and I'll hurt you back, but worse. A few of my friends know that and push my buttons anyway. Most don't. When the dust settles, I try to make amends, but we can't always, can we? Make amends, that is.

Because God knows exactly what is in our hearts, he never laughs at us mockingly. If we have evil in our hearts, he won't laugh, but he won't mock either. He has ways of dealing with the bad and the ugly that are appropriate. He doesn't need to taunt and mock and shame. God doesn't shrug his shoulders and walk away from us either. He won't cop out and say 'well, that's just me' or 'that's how I am' or all the excuses some of us use to explain our failures. Why is it so hard for us to admit when we are wrong? Back to God... He stays near as long as we are in communication with him.

God sympathizes with our weaknesses and forgives our sins. There are no secret struggles or silent pleas with God. He hears us, and he sees us, and he is as near as a prayer, always. If someone hurts you, shames you, uses or abuses you, you can take it to God and leave it there. If you do, I guarantee a healing of your spirit. That's how he is, and he is faithful and just.

Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

6 Comments:

  • If God can get jealous and angry, couldn't he be a bit sarcastic?I did think that some of the O/T prophets were sarcastic when addressing the enemy.

    Actually, I do admire your ability to be open about your shortcomings. Takes a big person to do that. Sometimes I wish I could be more open about my own downfalls.

    Did you identify in your own life where the pattern of wanting to payback hurt for hurt came from John?

    Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 AM  

  • Di, I meant that God does not deal with us with sarcasm when we go to him in prayer or need. I'm sure he has the ability to be sarcastic. Most intelligent beings do. :)

    As for my payback tendencies, I'm afraid I'm a chip off the old block. I am so much more like my father than I ever thought I would be.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 12:04 PM  

  • Does the hurt ever go away?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 PM  

  • Something about the title "Godly Sarcasm" immediately brought to mind the "Church Lady" from SNL. Isn't that special? Dana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • lol Dana

    Anon, what hurt are you asking about? Some hurts go away in time; some never do but lessen with time. All hurts leave their mark(s) but usually strengten our character. There is no hurt known to man that Jesus doesn't understand.

    An irritating grain of sand makes a pearl. I try to remember that.

    Have you ever heard the words to 'Through it all?'

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:02 PM  

  • Hurts that hurt w/o malice, but deep in the heart

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home