Broken Shivers

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Holy banana!





Before we get onto anything serious, let me show you the dog that won in the Westminster dog show - the 'working dog,' Springer Spaniel. Charles was so happy, being the proud owner of three such dogs.

It is a gorgeous dog although I'm more into Labs, and my wife likes 'lap' dogs We really enjoyed the show, though.



One of my patients, seen today, is convinced that she is more perceptive than most other people and that her 'instincts' will never fail her (although she admits she needs a little therapy). When a person's thinking is so perverted that he/she thinks her thoughts or perceptions are affecting the external world, she is doing what is called 'magical thinking' or, in very serious cases, it is paranoid-like thinking. Magical thinking can get one into trouble. It is similar to 'positive thinking' at times. Positive thinking is a good thing, but it is not mixed with delusional or illusional ideation.

When President Bush says 'stay the course' or 'we shall prevail' when all the odds are against him, what kind of thinking is he doing? Is he seeing something we don't see or is he just more 'positive.' Is it natural to be positive when the signs are so negative?

Should we trust him or investigate more or just knock on wood?

I do not know the answers. I do not know God's ultimate plan for our country or for the mideast except what is written in Revelation -- I do not know the 'in between stuff.' I do know this:

Chance has not brought this ill to me;
It's God's own hand so let it be.
For He sees what I cannot see.
-- selected
An Update on American marriages:
72 % of mothers work outside the home, at least part time, down from 77% in 2000. (Bureau of Labor Statistics)

My wife, Carolyn, worked as children's book editor before we married. We both prefer she be at home with our young children, but she sometimes gets 'bored' with housework (face it, a lot of it IS boring :) One of her many hobbies is ceramics. I bought her a kiln of her own for Christmas last year, and she now makes and sells beautiful pieces, without leaving home except to market the work. We are both satisfied. There are answers to most problems. It takes some communication and planning and compromise.

Later.... :)










Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • the dog looked nice.

    know exactly what you mean about the 'positive' thinking thing going to the extreme! I know there needs to be more positive thinking but when does it border living in a fantasy world?
    Having said that-- I would say that I would rather veer more to the positive mindset than the negative one....and leave the final outcome to the Lord.

    By Blogger Anjuli, at 8:39 PM  

  • I agree totally. :)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home