Broken Shivers

Sunday, May 01, 2005

The starting point..

When I get a new patient, right away I need to know a couple things, need to know the 'starting point.' First, I need to know, in medical terms, the 'chief complaint,' that is, of all the things that are hurting, what is hurting most? It isn't always the obvious. One of my patients has leukemia, and her days are 'numbered,' so to speak. One would think that would be her chief complaint, but it isn't. Her chief complaint is that her son-in-law bugs the hell out of her. The other thing I need to know is 'why now?' Why come in for therapy now vs. last week, last month, last year? This is called, by psychologists, the 'precipitating event.' That is not as easy to determine as you may think.

For example, I told you recently and briefly how I made a decision to serve the Lord. Someone gave me a 'flyer,' telling me about a revival. I attended, the Lord found me and the rest is history. But what was the precipitating event? Was I just tired of a directionless life, i.e., playing love songs at a bar every night while I drank beer and got drunk, all for a few dollars? Was it the dedication and obedience of the people who took the flyers from door to door on that hot, humid Saturday? After all, what did the son of atheists know about a baptist church revival, and why did he choose to go? Or did God have a plan for Johnny and chose that moment to put it into action, i.e., divine intervention? Why then, vs. the week before, the year before? I'm still not sure of the 'precipitating event' but suspect divine intervention.

Why is it important to know? Because there needs to be a starting point. How do I know if therapy is progressing, if the patient is better or worse, etc. if there is no starting point to which to refer? It wouldn't be too good to look back at my records, if it went to court for example, and not find a starting point reference, would it?

There are starting points in life, one for each event. Something happens and something causes it to happen when it does. If you can figure out your starting points, your 'battle' has begun each time and can be tackled more effectively.

Looking back over your life, have you had some important starting points? What were the precipitating events? Have you ever had what you thought was divine intervention? I can think of several more important starting points in my life time, my decision to adopt Melina for one.

Life is not a 'haphazard process.' There is a plan, and there is a starting point. God's creation was not a haphazard process. Reminds me of saying by a philosopher who didn't believe in God but talked about one of his miracles. Nietchze said, in effect, 'out of chaos comes a dancing star.' Out of the chaotic void, God created life, us. That was the starting point. What was the precipitating event?

9 Comments:

  • Are you asking what was the precipitating event to God creating us?? I assume it was his desire to have children who would reciprocate and reflect his love.

    Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

  • I agree she looks a tiny bit like Judd; both are beautiful. I got her because I was the 'catch' of Davenport, Iowa. :)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:04 PM  

  • Di, why do you assume that? Any other possibilities?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:05 PM  

  • John, it's a good question but a hard one to sort. I can only ponder on such things.

    It was his desire to have children who would reciprocate and reflect his love.

    Why did I assume that?

    Probably because I believe that Gods intent was to create mankind for relationship and he created man in his own likeness. God is love, we are created as an expression of that love and called his little master pieces (What's the greek word now? poiema sp??). If we are called to be Christlike we would in some way reflect his love and his glory.

    "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over ...." Gen 1.26.

    In Gen 1.26 I see that God was interested in relationship with mankind. When Adam and Eve were created (in God's image) they would have been Holy (without sin) and Righteous (having a right relationship with God and each other) since God himself is Holy and Righteous. Before the fall God walked in the garden and talked with Adam. Mankind was made vulnerable after the fall through his own disobedience.

    If sin isolates mankind from God and others (and still does) then man's relationship with God is also severed. If Gods relationship with man was not that important he would not have bothered redeeming/buying back that which belonged to him in the first place, mankind. He made the transaction with the blood of his own Son. Relationship with us is important to God.

    God then shares his creation work with mankind. He delegates (kingship) or establishes human authority over the earth and over all living species (even though it was his creation not ours). Here I see Gods generosity, his sharing with mankind and releasing authority to others, this depicts only a few aspects of Gods love for/ and his relationship with mankind.

    I think the precipitating event was a private event, a thought or desire in the mind of God to have children who would reflect and reciprocate his love.

    Perhaps another idea might be;

    God had already created beasts and angels who dwelt continously in the presence of his Glory, those who looked upon his face. Men/Women who are weaker in comparison do not see Gods face, they must live by faith. Since faith pleases God then the perseverance of the Church and of each believer brings more glory to God.

    Why don't you just tell me the answer John, that would be much easier. :)

    Di dee doe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 AM  

  • Ewan, well he stirred up the universe and I bet he had fun creating all this stuff.

    If you saw the beginning of creation; the formation of the stars sun and moon, the earth, sea and sky and all living creatures.. would you freak out?

    Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 AM  

  • Sorry about the long post John. Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 AM  

  • Di, I don't have the answer :) Who can know the mind of God?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 3:42 PM  

  • Johnny, some things we just can't know.:)

    I like the photo album too, Caro has a good tan and could pass as a brazilian. What city are we looking at there... down the hill beside the sea??

    Ewan, I would probably freak out at tornado, but think it's just as well that you were not there in the beginning. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 AM  

  • Looking down on Rio...

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home