Broken Shivers

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Why have children?

Why did you have a child (or more)? If it was so the child would 'do something' for you, that might be the wrong reason. :)

Some children are loving accidents. A couple play around; she gets pregnant; he does the 'right thing' and they are parents. Now what? Many are planned, desired, wanted beyond measure but, when they get here, they are like little aliens. What to do with them?

Some 'facts' about children...

They will hurt you. Yes, they will. They will take everything you have to offer and give you only tiny drinks of what you desire. In time, they become more and more like, and, admit it, that's frightening. They will become guarded, and they won't love you as much as they did at age three. Then, eventually, they will leave you and seek love in distant places.

When they leave you, you will be forever changed. You will be deeper, richer, more capable, more able to love, because you had them. No university can teach you what one small child can, not in a hundred years, and the child does it in less than twenty.

Knowing all that, I love the feel of thin little arms around my neck giving a hug, arms holding onto my leg, hands tugging at my shirt or even my wallet, eyes fixed on me with something undefined in them, questions abounding. Come to think of it, becoming more like us? That's not really so bad, is it?

2 Comments:

  • Hi Melody. No, I haven't received an email lately, certainly not since I talked to you on your blog. As for our production, it may be, but we have an appointment with an OB/GYN doctor next week.

    As for boys vs. girls, they both have special 'needs' but both give different and wonderful love, so I can't really choose, and either will be ok with Caro and me. She is quite well, radiant in fact. I think our vacation did wonders for both of us.

    Write me again and let me know what's going on and how Gary is feeling, etc.

    Love,
    Johnny

    By Blogger Johnny, at 2:48 PM  

  • If we learn to see children as a precious gift, then we are the better for it. Yes, they cause hearthache, lack of sleep and worry, not to mention they can cost a fortune, but when you watch them so innocently discover the world around them, reach up and wrap their arms around you, look deeply into your eyes to find your love, to find that you are no longer distracted by the world, what can be more precious?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home