Broken Shivers

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Tradition! .. tradition

One of my blogging buddies said she's glad the 'June Cleaver' days are gone forever, that she doesn't like 'roles' in marriage. Being a traditional kind of guy, I wonder how that works? Does each one cook for him/herself, each does their own laundry, what? Are these things gradually worked out, over the years? What happens if no one wants to clean the bathroom?

Like the 'hero' in 'Fiddler on the Roof,' I like tradition. I, my wife and the kids each has a role to play, not in a strict sense, but in a general sense. We 'overlap' once in a while but not often. It would be most unsettling. :) Perhaps I'm too set in my ways. I wonder what my wife would do if, say tomorrow, I just decided not to work?

2 Comments:

  • I'm glad if I was able to help prompt a post. *G*

    Yours actually made me laugh, in a nice way. No, we don't cook separate meals, etc. My husband enjoys cooking, while I usually don't. So he tends to cook unless I feel like preparing something special. I often tidy the kitchen, but he can and does put his dishes in the dishwasher. We both do laundry as needed, and we don't restrict the wash to only our own personal clothing. I clean around the house a little more than he does right now because I have been home with an injury and have the time. He does the heavier work because I can't. But none of this is something we schedule or chart. Not at all! It's a simple matter of seeing something that needs to be done, and doing it. We don't keep track of who does what how often. Nothing is labelled "women's work" or "men's work." There is a dump sticker on my car as well as his. I can and do hammer a nail, and my husband can and does sweep the floor.

    Or vice versa. *G*

    By Blogger Aravis, at 9:18 PM  

  • I am certainly impressed. :)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home