Broken Shivers

Friday, September 23, 2005

Is there really such an animal?

Adult ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) seems to have sprung a life of its own. In the past 20 years or so, the diagnosis of this condition has increased dramatically. We have more sophisticated diagnostic tools and the social acceptance of the malady may help explain what's happening, but there are other considerations.

When I first began studying psychology, the 'illness of the year' was 'borderline personality.' It was the diagnosis for 'I haven't a clue what's wrong with this person' as schizophrenia was the 'in' diagnosis 40-50 years ago. Some believe ADD is the new 'generic illness' of the year.

Times change, how people act, dress, speak etc. change, but the human brain itself has not changed that we know of, with our modern diagnostic equipment. An MRI scan of the 80 year old brain affected by the culture of 'roaring 20's' is no different in physicality from the 20 year old 'reality TV' cultured brain. In fact, our brains' hardwiring is virtually unchanged from prehistoric times. Over the centuries, we have learned to cram in more and more information without crashing from the overload. We handle the threat of over-stimulation by filtering the constant sensory bombardment. We acquire habits and routines that allow us to carry out many of our daily activities without having to think about what we're doing. When conscious thought is required, we are most efficient when we attend to one or two things at a time. We concentrate on one area in order to handle the action required competently and immediately. We ignore irrelevant materials floating around us because they are not our current focus. The ability to do that was always there. The cave man adapted to his surroundings and culture too.

Some things outside the brain have changed drastically though which makes me think there really is an 'attention deficit' disorder in some of us. At the dawn of the Twenty-first Century, we find ourselves living in an atmosphere of constant noise and never-ending, blow-your-mind stimuli. Our kids have more information to learn than people could have imagined several generations ago. 'Half Pint' on the prarie could not have imagined the space race, the racial divide and many, many other events since then. Then, there's the TV, the CD, the DVD, the ipod, the cell phone, the chat room, all demanding attention, not to mention mom and dad wanting perfection. After all that homework, they play endless video games with so much stimuli that some kids have seizures from the ever changing colors and movement on the screen. Automobiles are no longer just another means of transportation. They have become electronics on wheels with boom boxes, CD players, subscriber radio networks, and built-in television monitors and DVDs.

So, I can't help but wonder at the explosion in ADHD which results in medications for the condition being among the most popular prescriptions issued. We have adults and children who lack the capacity to concentrate on what they
read, what they see, and what they hear. When the brain fails to fully attend to new
information, it lacks the ability to lay down memory traces and the information quickly fades away. It appears the brain has not changed, but it cannot keep up. TMI.. too much information.

Personal lives are diminished for those who can't concentrate long enough to finish tasks they started with such good intentions. Interpersonal relationships suffer due to poor communication skills and the lack of that personal empathy which requires one to intensively focus on another human being to really understand their feelings.

While we continue to dispense the medications that act to filter the stimuli overload, and use psychological modification techniques to mold acceptable social behavior, we also need to look inside our own homes and practice preventive care.

We need to limit limit overexposure to the electronic world. We need to set priorities. We need to slow down and read books again, think and talk at the family's dinner table. We need to love our brain, treat it with respect.

We need to spend time with our kids and not use 'electric baby sitters,' be it TV, DVD, video game or internet. It's our future but, more importantly, it's their future. A medicated brain is not the optimal brain. Seek help when you need it but medication should not be the 'drug of choice.' Restraint and common sense in living the modern life would be most helpful. I won't add prayer and Bible reading, since I am read by Christian and nonChristian alike, but you know how I think. :)

Have a great weekend and happy concentrating!

12 Comments:

  • As you know, I've suspected I have some kind of adult ADD. Whatever it is has an incredible power to disrupt my life. For me, though, it's not a matter of not being able to concentrate. If I want to concentrate, I can. I was legendary in law school for my study marathons.

    The problem is that my brain either over focuses on one thing at the expense of other things (like where I am putting my keys, handbag, children) or I don't seem to tell myself 'now, concentrate Dana. This is important.'

    My brain worked great for what a single law school student living alone needs. It's not so great for a Mom who is supposed to do three things at one and have instant recall for where every obscure item in the house is. Ugh. But I haven't ever wanted to take medicine for it. Kill myself, yes, but no pills:)

    Dana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 AM  

  • What a topic John. My family struggles with this very issue. My exhusband was medicated as a child and swore up and down as an adult, he didn't need any help. As I watch from the distance I now have, he still needs medication. I now see it in both of my children.

    As a teacher, I see kids with it, and kids without it. I see kids who are starved for attention, and therefore act as if they are ADD, when in reality they aren't. But, they want that attention.

    From what I have read on ADD/ADHD, it is hereditary, and found more in males than in females. However, if one parent has one form of it, the possibility of the children struggling with it goes up as well.

    With all of that said, I believe it can be treated naturally, or medicated. The natural method takes a lot of time and committment day in and day out, day after day. It has to do with the choices one makes at critical times. Coping skills also need to be taught.

    I have tried both methods. Now my 13 year old son - doesn't feel as if he needs medication. Therefore, I have changed his diet radically, and forced some other natural methods on him. When he is at school, all I can do is pray he makes good choices. I can talk to him, and educate him as to what will help him, but ultimately he is in control of those choices.

    With medication, those options aren't there. It is a matter of personal preference. But, he is learning.

    My dear daughter (10) couldn't sit still in a chair long enough if her life depended on it. Because she is a girl, it acts/behaves differently.

    Every person has unique symptoms, and strategies in which to cope. You must research and try many things before something is found that feels like a fit for the individual and the family involved.

    I see my ex-husband as very unable to cope. That is still a strong frustration. He doesn't have the coping skills nor the capability of thinking/acting in rational ways that most of the population can understand/do.

    Thanks for the topic. Sorry to 'unload'. :)

    Marsha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 AM  

  • Dana, I knew you had some occasions of forgetting where the keys are etc. I don't recall your telling me you thought you had ADD. If so, you should be checked/tested by someone with experience in the disorder. Sometimes, there are just too many distractions in our lives. If the problem is 'fixable,' it is not wise to just ignore it or continue to 'live with it.'

    Marsha, there are definitely symptoms that sound like ADD although they can sound like other disorders too. If medication is required, then medication should be taken. If other methods work just as well, then use the other methods. The disorder, whatever it's real name is, is more difficult for parents, it seems, than for the children. In the case of adults, it can be life changing.

    People who cannot concentrate, cannot focus, cannot set priorities, who are 'way out there' have something wrong, and they need help. The emphasis on ADD worries me a little because I think more serious things are sometimes missed, i.e., multiple sclerosis. Not that ADD is not serious, but it usually is not life threatening (depending on choices made, of course).

    By Blogger Johnny, at 9:48 AM  

  • My daughter (9) takes the non-stimulant medication Strattera for her comorbid condition of ADHD. She has a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. It, too, appears to be genetic. Most "Aspies" also have ADD or ADHD.

    A leading expert, Dr. Tony Attwood told me that about 50% of the time when he diagnoses a child with AS one of the parents also presents as an "Aspie." My daughter's neuropsych has told me that I would probably qualify. But I haven't taken the time because the diagnosis would change nothing. I have coped for 31 years without it. And my hope is that one day my daughter will be able to cope without the medication. We haven't gotten there yet, but I pray we will.

    By Blogger GH, at 10:25 AM  

  • I think a lot of people are thrown into the 'ADD' or 'Asperger's' diagnoses because no one knows what is really wrong the screwed up brains. Same thing with nonmental disorders like fibromyalgia. Myalgia means pain and I guess fibro means in the connecting tissues. Since it cannot be x-rayed, etc., one can call it anything I guess. If it hurts, give it a name and a pill. Good American medicine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 AM  

  • Carolyn,

    Comorbid is a disorder that is present in association with another. The best site I have found to read up on AS is: http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger

    Johnny,
    I agree that time spent away from electronic distraction is time well spent. However this is the world we live in, gadgets and all. So is moderation the answer? And if so, isn't that always the answer?

    -g

    By Blogger GH, at 6:19 PM  

  • gh.. never ask a baptist preacher about moderation. lol I think many things in moderation are OK, but I have zero tolerance for nonprescription/illegal drugs, a tiny bit of tolerance for alcohol, i.e., an occasional glass of wine, zero tolerance for violent games anywhere, anytime, same for movies, DVDs.

    A Christian has to live 'in' the world but they are not to be 'of' the world. We are supposed to be different, set apart for God's service.

    Sermon over. Thanks for visiting. :)



    To me the answer is not 'moderation' but monitoring, of ourselves and our children.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:18 PM  

  • Johnny,
    I agree, many symptoms 'look' like ADD that mask another type of learning disability or disease. With all the reading, research, and practical application that I have done for my children, I am a believer in ADD for THEM. That doesn't mean it is the end all. We are continually working on it.

    marsha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 AM  

  • Congratulations to both of you!!!

    Parenting is definitely a self-sacrifice job. But very much well worth it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

  • Johnny, you are right. And on most of those I agree with you. But I'm a Methodist so my tolerance is tad more liberal ;)

    Carolyn, Congratulations! Cherish each moment...

    By Blogger GH, at 4:53 PM  

  • I am so excited for you guys. Congratulations and all that other stuff!!!

    By Blogger bridgesitter, at 12:38 PM  

  • Interesting seeing others concerned with the advent of this"'disorder." In my research in creativity, ( over 20 yeas ago) I found that creative peoples' minds are very similiar to the minds of those we say have adhd!

    I concluded that our schools want every child to be alike, but it is our creative children who think outside the box, whose minds are not bounded in by ideas of focusing in a certain mundane way. These are too challenging for everyday teachers!

    In deed these ADHD peoples' soar, make quantum leaps, and the problem is that smaller minds do not relate, therefore they decide it is a disease.

    Most teachers, I am afraid are of a smiliar personality type, and it is constricted to say the least.

    Our creative kids are our best minds, able to give more to society and themselves than all the robots minds put together.

    Some day, too late for many labeled ADHD we will learn they are our most promising crop.

    Enjoyed your blog! Mine is :cloudhiddenwheraboutsmukilteo,blogspot.com

    By Blogger Nimbostratusdweller, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home