Broken Shivers

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Judgement on a 'wicked' city?

The Katrina disaster, according to some fundamentalist Christians, was God's judgement on a wicked city. I find that difficult to believe on several levels, the first being that Alabama took quite a hit too. Alabama wasn't preparing to have a 'gay mardi gras' parade that I know of. Natural disasters happen. To suggest that the many thousands of victims 'deserved' their fate is unbelievable. It is also a terrible way to view God's love.

If the claims are true, then what evil deeds were the victims of the Tsunami in Southeast Asia poised to commit? And why are cities like Rio de Janeiro still above water when Carnival celebrations are tolerated year after year?

If New Orleans is a 'wicked city,' how many more wicked cities didn't get deluged by Katrina? Why would God single out just one for judgement? If to make an example, a big city of rich white people might make a better statement and better 'press' for it seems many don't care for the many thousands of poor black people. Another question comes to my mind. I wonder how many of those victims are Christians?

I have no claim to know the mind of God. The bible says no one knows the mind of God, but simple logic tells me he would not operate that way. In the old testament, when God brought judgement upon a people, he gave plenty of warning and took credit for it (through his prophets). Thus, until God speaks, I believe it was a 'natural' disaster, not a supernatural one.

8 Comments:

  • I agree with you and well said. I can't begin to express the sadness in my heart after having a number of conversations this past week with people I know on this very subject. The comments they have made to me and their views are shameful and I have lost respect for for everyone of them.

    My dog has more compassion then those I've had a conversation with on this very subject. It brings me comfort knowing someone has expressed how they feel or views it the way I do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM  

  • The politics of it have already started. Did you see the interviews by Russert on 'Meet the Press?' The guy from New Orleans cried, and the guy (Barbour?) pretty much blamed it all on the victims. Meanwhile, the folks are finally getting some help though.

    Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:17 PM  

  • How do you know what God has planned? You cannot even assume you know what God's plan was for Katrina, sin is everywhere, and salvation is severely needed.

    I disagree with you and pray you look to God for answers, not yourself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 AM  

  • It's ok Ms. Moonbeam. :) Anon. is quite presumptous, whoever he/she is. I do look to God for answers every day. I expressed my opinion, didn't say it came from God's mouth.

    Anon. disagreed, meaning I guess, he/she thinks Katrina was sent by God but Anon. gives no basis for the belief. Just because there is sin doesn't mean God will send a hurricane on innocents. That's why Jesus died.. for our sins.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 11:14 AM  

  • John-

    I was about to e-mail you with a question on this, but you answered my question on your blog.

    -Bob

    By Blogger Bob, at 5:37 PM  

  • "The God revealed in Jesus did not come into the world "to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." (John 3:17) There can be no arguments over the claim that, for a variety of reasons, our nation deserves punishment. But when the Bible tells us about the grace of God, it is giving us the good news that our loving God does not give us what we truly deserve. Certainly, God would not create suffering for innocent people, who were--for the most part--Katrina’s victims." -- from an article by Dr. Tony Compolo

    I totally agree with him..

    Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 PM  

  • Our pastor read this scripture to keep our hearts in check. I'm passing it on. In fact, he preached on the whole chapter-good good good.

    "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." Mat 5:45

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • Because of where I am and who I'm living with I am dealing with someone who believes God caused this to punish New Orleans for homosexuality, and drunkeness etc...Now she is hoping that he doesn't do it to Seattle too!!

    By Blogger bridgesitter, at 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home