Broken Shivers

Monday, October 17, 2005

Daddy, hey daddy!

Ramses II, a pharaoh of Egypt died in 1225 B.C. At the time of his death, he had fathered 96 sons and 60 daughters. I am working on number three and may not survive it. :)

It's not my wife. She's handling her part quite well, and she looks wonderful and feels good. I, somehow, do not have my mojo working quite as well lately. From the time I get home to when I close my eyes at night, it seems one or other of the kids is saying 'daddy, hey daddy!'

It must be their respective ages, five and six, or something as yet undetected by me. How could two wee people have so many activities and interests? There are music lessons to discuss and practices to hear, languages to practice, home work to check (there should be a law about a 5 year old having homework??), soccer games to go to, to rehash again and again, sleep overs, unders and arounds, trips to Staples for school supplies, Target's for jeans, the computer store for what?? There are endless 'arguments' over which DVD to choose, what TV show is OK to watch, which snack to have, when and where, who will clean up after. There are baths to take, teeth to brush, stories to read, prayers to say, boasting to listen to, hugs and kisses to give and fears discussed, reassurances to offer. Does it never end?

I hope not. Thank you, God, for allowing me to be a father.

MtĀ 18:10 "Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."

9 Comments:

  • How many 'wives' had those 154 or so kids?? Fatherhood sounds a bit daunting but you seem to have it under control. :)

    By Blogger Charles, at 10:01 AM  

  • Good for you! My daughter Melina is adopted. I chose her from among all others, when 'that face' won my heart.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 2:42 PM  

  • You and your wife didn't think you could have children, so you adopted, but now you are having one?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:10 PM  

  • Charles, I have no idea how many 'wives' but assume it was 15 or more.

    Anon., my first wife died six years ago. I adopted Melina a couple years later and didn't meet Carolyn, my wife, until a couple years after that. We are having a baby, yes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

  • 156 children!! That is so gross.

    Should I ask what a mojo is? lol.

    Life sounds full on. :) Say a little hello to Melina for me, does she still take her dance lessons?

    Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 AM  

  • You seem more involved with your children's lives than the 'usual' husband/father. Is that because you had a 'motherless' household for so long? Is your wife cool with all that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM  

  • It never crossed my mind that my wife wouldn't be cool with my fathering my own children. lol I'll ask her. I work every day so I don't know whether I'm more involved than the 'usual' father or not.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:20 PM  

  • Because you are full of love, full of compassion, full of humor and insight I know that you will be a great dad. Exhausted yes, but still a great dad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 PM  

  • Ah yes, I remember now, thanks Carolyn. :)

    di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home