Broken Shivers

Sunday, October 02, 2005

My baby is having a baby!

This is just an update on the family since we got back from our long vacation.

We got the official news this week. We are having a baby which is due toward the end of March 2006. I try not to be one of those men who looks at his pregnant wife and thinks 'look what I did.' Yet... look what I did! lol One of my associates said that my pleasure in my wife's pregnancy is pride, one of the seven deadly sins. He is not a Bible scholar. :)

There is a difference in being pleased with one's accomplishments and the kind of pride of the seven deadly sins type, a pride that leads to self destruction or destruction of others. That kind of pride is deadlier than even lust by those who 'grade' or 'rank' the seven sins. For those who get offended by 'gluttony' (waste), it is the least deadly of the seven sins. :)

Anyway, I was born to be a family man, a husband and a father. This will be my third child. I would be like Robert Kennedy and have ten or so if I had a wife like minded. Since this is Caro's first, we'll wait and see. :) JW (my son insists on being called that now as he is too 'old' to be called Peeps anymore :( and Melina are cautiously optimistic that this child is a good thing. Of course, JW wants a brother and Melina wants a sister. With the history of twins in Caro's family, we might get both.

JW and Melina are in school, the second year at their 'academy.' My son is in 2nd grade and Melina in first. I got to do show and tell with my son this week. :) Caro is manning the infirmary next week. There's a lot of parent participation in the school year which is good. They are also into soccer, tennis lessons, piano and languages, so they stay plenty busy but have a lot of fun too. Caro, the help and I take turns at driving them here and there. I'm not going to complain for JW will be driving in ten years!

Besides my usual 30 hour week as a pschologist/therapist, I often do concerts or revivals or 'guest' preach here and there. I have been offered a pastor postion at a small church which would not require that I leave my current work. I've also been asked to run for a slot on the city council. I'm thinking that over a lot, not sure I want to go in that direction, although I definitely have my opinions on how things should be run.

Other than all that, we are winterizing the house and the cars, capping the pool, etc. as Iowa's winter is just around the corner. It has been down in the 30's at night already.



On a sad note, my oldest dog had to be put to sleep. I called him 'Beast' but he was the kindest, gentlest dog one could ever have. I got him when my son was born. He had developed a form of cancer and was suffering. I must say, it is killing me. I grieve for him as do the others. He was the big 'boss' dog, very protective of us and the puppies. Well, this is not helping so I'll call it a night (acutally, it's 1:14 a.m. central time). Hope you all had a wonderful Lord's day.

11 Comments:

  • What a nice update on the family. JW eh? That makes him sound so grown up :) So sorry to hear about Beast.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 AM  

  • Yes, JW sounds very grown up. Still, at bed time or when he is ill, he is still 'Peeps.' :) I guess the day will come when Peeps is no more, and this JW fellow has taken over and is competing with me.

    Thank you re Beast. I'm going to pick up his ashes today.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:07 AM  

  • Congratulations on the new addition to the family!! What wonderful news :)

    Sorry to hear of the Beast's passing.

    My Munchkin is quickly outgrowing her nickname too. Soon, she'll be as tall as me... so quickly it goes.

    By Blogger GH, at 3:54 PM  

  • Sanya told me about your blog, very nice. Congrats on the new baby and I'm so sorry about Beast. I know how you loved that dog. :(

    Sofia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 PM  

  • Just wondering...what do you plan to do with the ashes? Hubby is always teasing me about my dog getting old and dying :( He thinks it's funny in some twisted way, but I can't stand the thought of it. When the day comes, I think I'll take her to VA to bury her.

    By Blogger SweetT, at 8:36 PM  

  • Thanks Jeff.

    Sweet, I will keep the ashes until we go to Fairfax again or Norfolk. Is that morbid? I hope not.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 PM  

  • I love the picture of your dog. He was probably full of "beastly" love for his pets (You, his family). Probably like you John with your family. I visited Caro's blog and congratulated her, but I wanted to say it to you too.
    Congratulations!!! Macho man!!! Studly muffin!!! Look What You Did??!!

    But seriously I know it's very hard to lose a pet. And not morbid at all about the ashes.

    By Blogger bridgesitter, at 12:27 AM  

  • Not morbid at all, not to me. Like I said, I plan to carry Mitzi back 'home' too.

    I'm excited for you, Caro, JW and Melina. Show-off ;)

    By Blogger SweetT, at 7:48 AM  

  • Congratulations!!! Macho man!!! Studly muffin!!! Look What You Did??!!

    lol Bridge.. now you know. ;)

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:51 PM  

  • lol SweetT .. At my advanced age, one shows off every chance he gets while he can still cut the mustard, not that loving on Carolyn is anything like cutting the mustard. ;)

    Thanks Melody.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:53 PM  

  • Thank you so much for commenting on my blog and a huge

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    By Blogger Jillyvanilli, at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home