Broken Shivers

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Unexpected pleasures...

I tend to be a well organized, well disciplined type, planning and structuring so not caught unaware by life's catastrophes. Others live as I do but some live more chaotic or impulsive lives. But to all of us, unexpected things happen and, sometimes, the unexpected pleasures in life are the sweetest.

I finally got around to going through some of my mother's things, her art work, dairies, papers, etc. I found a packet of letters from my father to her, in the early years of their marriage, when he traveled so much. I was amazed at the 'private' man, very different from the public man who was tough and arrogant and impatient. Now I know him so much better. It was an unexpected pleasure to read his words to my sweet mother and made me remember both my parents with so much love and wonderful memories.

Meeting Carolyn was an unexpected pleasure. I had scheduled lunch with a small publisher, hoping to pitch my series of articles on prayer into a book deal. I was expecting a long, dull lunch, but hopefully a successful deal. To my surprise, he brought one of his up and coming young editors with him to our luncheon. Carolyn. Talk about a beautiful unexpected pleasure. :)

Reminds me of the grace of God, the most unexpected pleasure of all.

Have you had an unexpected pleasure lately that you can share?

Tags: surprises, grace of God, structure, chaos

7 Comments:

  • One of the greatest unexpected pleasures I ever received was meeting you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

  • What a nice thing to say, anon. People don't do this enough for one another, so I hope he knows who you are tho the rest of us don't need to. :)

    By Blogger SweetT, at 10:22 AM  

  • Oops.. it's me, Rita. I usually sign my name. John and I go way back, to our early 20's. He 'rescued' me once. He's one in a million. He and my now husband were room mates at college. :)

    Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:49 AM  

  • lol @ oops

    Wasn't trying to call you out, Rita. ;)

    By Blogger SweetT, at 7:19 PM  

  • I've had too many to count really, unexpected pleasures. Just this past week, I received a letter from a boy I taught in Sunday School for 4-5 years. He's in Iraq now. He said, in the letter, that when he's afraid over there, he remembers the stories I used to tell about Joshua and David, warriors of the OT, and it makes him feel stronger. He thanked me for the patience I had with them when they 'acted up' in class.

    Sometimes we wonder if anyone really notices. He did. What a nice surprise to receive that letter. I'm praying he gets home safely. We passed the 2000 mark of soldier deaths in the war.

    Carl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 PM  

  • Since moving back to my home town, I periodically get the unexpected pleasure of running into someone from my past. I rather like seeing old classmates or their mothers at the grocery store - it makes me feel connected to my past.

    Just last weekend I went to a lecture given by an old friend and was surprised to see another classmate there - a guy I haven't seen in 20 years but of whom I was rather fond and whose mother was one of my favorite teachers. He had dinner with my husband and I afterward, and it was just lovely to catch up and remember the old days. He's fat and bald and much changed from the skinny boy with masses of curly black hair I used to know, but sweet as ever.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 AM  

  • Thank you, Rita. You're just as dear to me, pickle puss.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home