Broken Shivers

Monday, May 23, 2005

Changing your 'want to'

At a luncheon after a ministerial association meeting, my associates and I were having lunch and discussing the difficulties of living the Christian life, especially in an America that is turning anti-Christian. 'Can anyone really live a good Christian life,' one pastor asked? 'Absolutely,' I answered.

It may be difficult, at times, to be a good Christian, but it is not complicated, not at all. It is a matter of will, choice. You either serve God or you serve satan, and it's your choice.

Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other...."

Not only is it your choice, it is your fault if you fail. It's not God's fault. He has given us all we need to succeed .. grace, love, His Word, the Holy Spirit and more.

The culprit, when we fail, is sin that we choose to do.... Simple. Sin. Catholic tradition identifies seven particularly troublesome classes of sins (the "seven deadly sins"): They are pride, covetousness, lust, envy, gluttony, anger, and sloth. While no one is safe from any of these, those that pose the greatest challenge to the disciplined Christian life are almost certainly pride and sloth, according to most preachers.. I think the two worst culprits are lustful thoughts aand difficult people, getting down to the nitty gritty. Here's an interesting take on 'sloth,' however.

Sloth is insidious. It whispers that you might as well do it tomorrow, that nobody will know if you cut corners here and there to save yourself some trouble, that the world will be the same in a hundred years no matter what you do, so why do anything? Sloth says, ‘Don’t strain yourself,’ ‘What’s the big hurry?’ and ‘Just give me five more minutes.’

Sloth hits the snooze alarm, hits the remote control and hits the road when the going gets tough . . . Sloth cheats on exams, drinks straight from the milk carton and leaves exactly two sheets on the toilet roll so that it will have to be replaced by the next poor soul who finds out too late that the remaining paper is nothing more than a mirage. -- Joseph Stowell, Today in the Word, July 1996, p. 2


Make no mistake about it, people like to sin, and they choose sin regularly over good living. Why is that? .. Human nature or as some call it, the 'sin nature.' It's also human nature to scratch an itch but people with self control do it in private, eh? It's human nature to pick the nose but, as Melina would say, 'ewwwww.' Socialized, self controlled people don't do it, at least not in public. Human nature can be thwarted when not in our best interests. Again, it's not complicated. Simple choosing. If not, why have a system of laws, checks and balances. We know we can be good when we want to. It's the 'want' or maybe better said the 'I don't want to" that's the problem.

How can we change our 'want to?' Sometimes we make things more complicated than they need be.

"Why do Baptists not have sex standing up? Because it might lead to dancing." Fortunately, this is a joke. However sometimes Christians actually have gotten carried away with rules. Rules of behavior have turned into an end in themselves.

Back to changing the 'want to.' Try a little self control. The Christian life doesn't happen by accident. It requires planning and a consistent approach. We must, although we find it difficult, face our faults and our weaknesses and plan accordingly. If you know that staying up surfing the net makes you too tired to do a good job the next morning, it's simple, don't do it. Self discipline is necessary for most successful living, including being a 'good' Christian.

There are a number of different approaches to discipline. Most of them are based on regular scheduling. Christians generally should set aside specific times each day for prayer and study, both individually and as a family. If you don't, your 'want to' will suffer. These times should include prayer. They should normally include some kind of study or opportunity for growth.

And Christians need to associate with each other, for there IS strength in numbers, and the Lord said He would be with us where two or more gathered in His name. Yes, I'm talking about church. Those who say they don't need to be in 'church' (where two or more are gathered in His name) are foolish and lying to themselves and others. You do need to be there, to worship and to be guided, fed, led and encouraged. You don't get all those things gazing at the stars in a forest.. or as Wesley asked, in a zoo. :) You need to be with other Christians and worship the Lord, not the stars, the universe, rocks or flowers or grass. The Bible gives good examples of worship which are studying together, singing together, praying together, etc. Notice the 'together.'

Finally, Christians are to be committed to serving others. Jesus indicated that the primary way of judging someone's spiritual state was by looking at what they did for Him and for others. And I can assure you, if you're busy serving others, being a responsible person, taking care of business and obligations, praying, having devotions, studying, you will find it much easier to control your 'want to,' that is, if you really want to.

I Was Afraid You’d Tell Me Not To Do It

A school teacher lost her life savings in a business scheme that had been elaborately explained by a swindler. When her investment disappeared and her dream was shattered, she went to the Better Business Bureau. “Why on earth didn’t you come to us first?” the official asked. “Didn’t you know about the Better Business Bureau?” “Oh, yes,” said the lady sadly. “I’ve always known about you. But I didn’t come because I was afraid you’d tell me not to do it.”

The silliness and dangerousness of human nature are that even though we know where the answers lie .. in God’s Word .. we don’t turn there for fear of what it will say. That's the same reason we don't change our 'want to,' we're afraid to for we won't have the fun of sin, eh?

9 Comments:

  • But is it really so simple, the choice? Why, then, do we need therapists like you? lol Aren't some people born to be addicts or alcoholics? If so, no choice there is there? Don't some people have stronger sex drives? Aren't people who had no role models as kids more likely to do bad or sin?

    Frank

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

  • Frank, some research would suggest so. I believe that environment and genetics has its part to play in the choices people make, how their lives turn out etc.. Although I am not fully convinced that as humans, we are not able to choose.. or that there is no such thing as 'free will.'

    The Christian faces choices daily, we could choose for or against. But what is it that makes us free to choose?? I think it has everything to do with God and his enabling a person to want to make the right choices.

    Di

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 AM  

  • Baptists seem to have some unusual rules at times. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 AM  

  • Di,
    We were created free to choose. What sense would John 3:16 make even if we had no choice but to believe? Can one believe without choice or will? If we have no choice but to believe, then Christ would not have had to die.

    Philosophers have been discussing free will for thousands of years with the fatalists (or Calvinists) on one side and everyone else on the other, pretty much. We either are free agents or robot like. I choose to believe we are free agents within the constrictions of our natural world (and the scriptures back me up). We cannot choose to fly without wings, but we can choose to serve or not to serve, to take that pill or not to take that pill, to drink or not to drink, to kill or not to kill, IF we are whole individuals and not ill.

    People who are ill, mentally or physically, such that their cognitive abilities are affected may not have the freedom of choice. One cannot deny that, but the created being who is whole does. Because a child is born with microencephaly, for instance, does not negate free will in the creature, i.e., human creation. That event is an anomaly, a deviation from the norm.

    Our entire justice system is predicated on the fact that we have a will to choose. We put people on death row all the time who have personality disorders, have genetic and/or environmental influences for the worst behaviors because they still maintain the ability to choose right from wrong. That is what I mean by 'free will,' the ability to decide right from wrong.

    God most certainly can influence man kind but does he take his will from him? I do not think so. Do you?

    Frank, other than the baby born addicted because the mother drank or took drugs while pregnant, I don't know of any solid evidence to support that people are born 'addicted.' There is definitely evidence that some people's bodies do not handle alcohol as well as others, but that means they should not touch the stuff. It does not mean they have no choice in the matter. It is believed that some people have 'addictive personalities,' that is they are more likely to become addicted than others. There is no evidence to suggest that this is genetic and, even if they are 'predisposed,' they still have a choice... drink or not, pop a pill or not.

    There are many influences on all of us to 'behave' in one way or another but must we? I say not. Without accountability for one's own actions, absolutely nothing makes sense in life. If man is no different than the insect living on 'instincts,' then we have no need of a god for we would have no need of salvation since we would not be 'condemned.' The only creature God made that is condemned if he does not make the right choices is man. The bible clearly states we are condemned without a savior.

    John 3:19 "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved
    darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." Loving and doing evil are both choices, eh?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:32 AM  

  • So what about the schizophrenic or paranoid dude who kills or whatever while hearing voices? Does he know right from wrong, does he have a choice?

    Roger

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 AM  

  • If the person is in a psychotic state, hallucinations, delusions, etc. he/she may not know right from wrong and may not be able to make choices based on reason.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 5:45 PM  

  • Johnny,
    You make a very good arguement. There are times when I do things I know God would not like. Why? Because I just want to have fun! Yes, it's wrong and I usually (but not always) feel terrible afterwards.

    It's very difficult to say no to certain temptations. It takes a really strong person to do that and I think it's really hard to live a good, Christian lifestyle with so many temptations around. Sometimes, I'm just not strong enough. :-(

    And I'll admit, I am lazy. If I weren't so lazy about many things, I would have accomplished a lot with my life. Doesn't the bible say something about idle hands?

    I must thank you for this insightful post. I know the only way to keep me from doing wrong is to actually hold my Bible at all times. It's easier for me to say no to sin when I'm looking at my bible. But I know having my Bible with me at all times isn't possible, so I'll just have to try and keep the Bible in my head and pray that I'm strong enough to resist from doing sinful things.

    It's like you already know something to be true, but it really doesn't hit you until someone says it... that's how your post was to me.

    But anyway, I've babbled long enough. You've inspired to me change my ways. (I was going to say "try to change my ways" but I don't want to try - I want to do it).

    Thank you,
    Cosmic

    By Blogger Cosmic, at 8:56 PM  

  • You totally convicted me on the sloth bit. I was almost ready for bed when I read it several hours ago. But no. It's 1:30 and I have paid our bills and prepared the deposit for our church. My husband is asleep, but can I sleep? No, because the house is sort of a mess and I don't want to be a sloth. I am so glad that being compulsive isn't a mortal sin:)

    By Blogger Hopeful, at 10:25 PM  

  • Thanks, Henry. :)

    Wesley, you are exactly right, it is a growing or maturation process. That's why we were told to move from milk to meat.. eventually. :)

    Cosmic, bless your heart. We all have trouble with the sin nature.. even Paul did.

    Ro 7:15 "For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that
    do"

    Dana, no, it's not a mortal sin, but it's not pleasant at times, eh? If you really want to conquer OCD, it can be done, but some people find it comforting.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home