Broken Shivers

Monday, May 16, 2005

Negotiator or Intimidator?

Do you think the American Army cannot be beaten, that we cannot lose a war, even the war on terror? I hate to break the bad news, but any army can be beaten. Why? Because of 'chance' and/or 'providence.' Just as our 'shock and awe' did not finalize things in Iraq, you cannot know in advance so many important things, things such as strategy, trickery, luck, unexpected surprises. For instance, 3/4ths of our debt is owned by China. What happens when they call in their markers? Can we finance a war if we are broke, and would we go to war with China over that, knowing they have millions of bodies to throw at us as they did in Korea, and they got nukes too, you know, to which can be added the nukes of their buddy, N. Korea. God help us all when we go out playing war as though we are invincible. We are not invincible and never shall be. Even if we had the perfect 'Star Wars' protective system, it could be destroyed from within if the right people were lured by our enemies.

This is one of the reasons I do not approve of Bolton for U.N. ambassador. We need a man who can negotiate, not intimidate. Intimidation has it's place, but the U. N. is not it. I still believe war should be the last resort, and I do not agree that Iraq was at the last resort stage although I support our troops and a war already enjoined. We need someone to tread the wicked waters so that we do not have to go to war. We didn't have to go to war in Iraq, that was a war of choice. Someday, we might not have a choice and a good man (or woman) at the U. N. just might hold that event at bay.

One can think of many so-called 'invincible' armies... Napoleon's, Roman before the 'fall,' Hitler's, the Spanish armada, many more, and let's not forget the Battle of Jericho. :) I would rather look to an invincible peace process myself, and I, like so many of you, have children I don't want to be fodder for future war machines.

5 Comments:

  • I know this is going to sound dumb, but what do you mean by 'providence?


    Lulu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

  • It's only dumb if you don't ask questions. Providence means 'the care of the divine or the guidance of the divine.'

    I was thinking of it that way and also as in 'acts of God.' Many armies have been felled by snow storms or other 'acts of God' and the battles lost (or won). Some people say God doesn't take sides in war, but I believe he would and does intervene in the affairs of man. Do you think God intervened in WWII in any way?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 9:31 PM  

  • Isn't it true that most wars are related partially (and sometimes entirely) to religion? Good vs. evil?

    We have many references in scripture where God intervened in battle. I'm not sure that's taking sides in reference to people as individuals, but more at siding with a purpose/agenda. (Does that make sense?)

    By Blogger SweetT, at 8:03 AM  

  • I think most wars are fought over greed, someone's land, someone's money, etc. but good vs. evil can be involved too.

    Yes.. you made sense.

    By Blogger Johnny, at 8:53 AM  

  • My feeling about Bolton - if he was bad before, can you imagine how bad he'll get when his poor "interpersonal skills" have the backing of the White House? I once had a bad boss...he had no such massive, on-high approval. I can only imagine...

    So no, no Bolton. But of course, I believe party lines will get him voted in by the Senate.

    Astute entry, Johnny. I think history has more than proven no army is impervious to defeat.

    By Blogger Adriana Bliss, at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home